Is Mold Dangerous?
Mold can be a very sneaky substance. As it thrives in moist, dark areas, many wouldn’t think it would be a major problem for humans. However, once excess moisture has settled into any kind of porous material, such as drywall, it becomes a problem for everyone. It then has the ability to disperse its spores and spread throughout the entire property. Here are a few reasons why you want to get this problem taken care of as soon as possible:
Dangers of Mold Sneaking Into the HomeAs mold can be classified as a fungi, it grows and responds the same as the others within its kingdom. In other words, it develops, eats, and spread its spores the same as other molds, mushrooms, and bacteria. The home provides the perfect resources to allow for its development and growth. The CDC, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warns about the dangers of living with mold in the home:
- Respiratory tract symptoms that include coughing, wheezing, and swelling of the throat.
- Those who have asthma and allergy problems are especially at risk.
- Those with hypersensitivity pneumonitis are prone to the immune-mediated condition
Air TravelersMold will thrive anywhere there is an optimal amount of moisture and porous materials to feast on. These conditions can include a leaking roof, leaking pipes, wet or damp areas of the basement and crawlspaces, flooding, or any path of moisture from the kitchen pipes to the basement. Even leaving damp towels on the floor is sufficient for mold growth. As soon as it has found a proper location to grow and develop, mold will easily be able to travel through the air, finding other susceptible spots. This is where the negative health effects start to occur. Keep in mind that mold canbe the cause for the following symptoms:
- Allergies have suddenly grown worse
- Sudden itching, sneezing, and rashes
- Feeling irritable and lethargic
- Difficulty breathing and/or sleeping
Damage of Building MaterialsOnce the source of the mold has developed in a certain area, it has the ability to eat away at its host; this can cause severe damage to the structural integrity of your property. Potential signs can include damaged hardwood floors, discoloration of the walls and ceilings, or condensation on the windows and walls. It can also be associated with a strong, musty odor. Those who are most sensitive to strong smells will notice this right away. As mold will not go away on its own, it is up to you, the property owner, to find the mold and call professional mold remediation services. These will include:
- Inspection and remediating areas that do not receive much traffic
- Decluttering the property if there are items that are contributing to the risk of mold
- Lowering the moisture levels within the home or building
- Proper air circulation throughout the property.